Center for Vision Loss
845 Wyoming Street
Allentown Pennsylvania 1 18103
(610) 433 6018
Region's only non-profit agency dedicated to improving the lives of people with vision loss. A branch office is located in Monroe County--see below for phone and location
Jennifer Pandolfo, Director of Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, 787 992 7787
Dennis Zehner, Executive Director, email@example.com, 610 433 6018 ext.241
- Assistive Products
- Sells assistive aids and devices. Products for sale on site.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille classes.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Introduction to Braille offered on a monthly basis for clients.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Agency provides in-house prepared accessible materials of agency materials for agency clients. Will take under consideration providing accessible materials for a fee to the public on a case-by-case basis. Call for information. Please be advised that the Lehigh Valley Braille Guild which was housed in our Lehigh Valley office closed in 2012.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Conducts vision screenings using SPOT vision screening technology by Welch Allyn for children 6 months to 6 years old at pre-schools,day care centers, kindergarten registrations. Educational program, "C. Well Bunny Goes to School," offered at screening sites for young children. Screenings also conducted at community health fairs and other sites for older children and adults. Educational programs offered about eye health and eye safety for the community. Agency brochures and other print materials offered; most materials available in braille and large print versions upon request.
- Agency's associate support group counselor who is visually impaired facilitates monthly adjustment to blindness support groups. See "Support Groups" below for more information.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Agency provides Vision Rehabilitation Support Services for clients with vision loss. All programs and services are designed to promote independence and restore quality of life and support, encourage and empower our clients. These include casework services, in-home assistance, Escorted Transportation with a sighted guide, lifeskills education, support groups, and socialization activities.
- Health Services
- Offers vision screening and public education.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Low vision examinations are offered by agency's associate Low Vision Specialist Dr. Anthony Silvetti, OD,to determine what kind of assistive technology will assist the individual to make the best use of their remaining vision. Many kinds of magnification devices, as well as large print and talking items are sold in the agency's Vision Aids Store. Agency also has a good stock of various kinds of assistive technology to demonstrate.
- Recreation Services
- Offers client enrichment and socialization programs and activities, including a weekly mall walking program. All activities are published in the quarterly Client Activities Bulletin which is mailed to clients and can be found on the agency's website. Various accessible versions of this document are also available.
- Services for Seniors
- Support Groups
- Agency offers monthly adjustment to blindness support groups for clients facilitated by an associate trained therapist who is visually impaired. Additional support groups include men's, women's and caregivers. These are facilitated by visually impaired staff/volunteers or casework staff.
- Transportation Services
- Door-through-door Escorted Transportation with sighted guide rides offered to clients who need to access medical appointments, rides to community locations such as the pharmacy and grocery shopping up to 3 times per month. Customers can also use this program to attend support group meetings, lifeskills education classes and socialization activities offered by the agency.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides referrals for orientation and mobility and vision rehabilitation to the PA Bureau of Blindness & Visual Services
- Volunteer Services
- Agency offers various volunteer opportunities. These include Annie's Angels, a companion program that provides the gift of friendship to a client; Escorted Transportation driver; Vision Screener; and office assistant to help with agency support such as answering phones, entering data or helping with special events. Volunteers also serve on our Board of Directors, our Monroe County Advisory Committee and various other committees.