Illinois Department of Human Services/Division of Rehabilitation Services: Bureau of Blind Services & Business Enterprise Program for the Blind
Bureau of Customer Support and Services
Springfield Illinois 1 62762
(217) 785 3887
Derrick Phillips, Superintendent, Derrick.Phillips@illinois.gov, 312 633 3532
Nancy Schultz, Rehabilitation Mobility Instructor, Nancy.Schultz@illinois.gov, 312 633 3547
Barbara Wichner, Rehabilitation Mobility Instructor, Barbara.Wichner@illinois.gov, 312 633 3520
- Determines current needs and skill levels of clients.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Offers technical assistance to other agencies and professionals who work with blind or visually impaired persons.
- Offers counseling, referrals, support to visually impaired individuals and family members.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in skills of daily living. Offers programs for individuals age 55 or older needing training in self-care, household management and care, and adjusting/adapting to visual loss so they may continue to live independently within their own homes and communities. Provides other necessary services in whole or in part (depending upon similar benefits and other resources) by the department.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers career and skill counseling, prevocational evaluation, career preparation training, vocational placement. Has programs available for individuals with severe visual impairments who are seeking to regain, retain or gain employment in the competitive labor market.
- Information and Referral
- Provides general information about blindness and visual impairment, and referrals to sources of other information.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Professional Training
- Offers workshops, in-service meetings.
- Services for Seniors
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility instruction in a community-based or residential setting.