New York State School for the Blind
2A Richmond Avenue
Batavia New York 1 14020
(585) 343 5384
The New York State School for the Blind provides a learning environment where children can achieve their full potential. Specialized instruction and a full range of related, clinical and support services are tailored to meet the needs of each student.
Teachers with professional preparation in the areas of visual impairment, elementary or secondary education, and/or special education work as a team to promote independence and prepare children for successful transitions to adulthood.
Parents and staff work together to help each child reach the goals in his/her Individualized Education Program (IEP). Classes are small in size and educational activities reach into a variety of specially designed areas including our prevocational workshop, gymnasium, pool and Sensory Park playground. Technology is used to augment instruction and promote achievement. Computers, electronic communication boards, low vision reading devices and therapeutic equipment are adapted to enhance each child's unique abilities.
Bethany Burgess, Social Worker, Social Work Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Barbara Lemen, Superintendent, Administration, email@example.com
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Refers and provides consultation to other agencies for other counseling/social work services.
- Distance Education
- Offers program in Teacher of Visually Impaired Certification.
- Health Services
- Offers general medical services, physical, speech, occupational therapies. Contracts and refers for other health services.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.