Useful Links for Job Seekers Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
APH CareerConnect Partners
- Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) CNIB is a Canadian national organization that offers resources specific to vision health, vision loss, consumer products, research, accessibility, library, and services for persons with vision loss.
- GettingHired.com GettingHired offers job listings, tools, forums, employment advice, great articles, and resources for job seekers with disabilities.
- National Industries for the Blind (NIB) NIB is a collective of organizations that offer employment, employment training, and other services to persons who are blind or visually impaired. They offer employment training at various ability and skill levels.
U.S. Federal Government Employment Resources
- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy Find out how the U.S. government is encouraging employers to hire persons with disabilities and learn about related policies.
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) The OPM oversees the hiring policies for federal government agencies. It also offers a webpage on federal government hiring practices specific to persons with disabilities. This is an essential read for persons looking for employment in the federal government.
- USAJOBS.com USAJOBS.com is the official website where persons can access and apply for U.S. federal government job.
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) The EEOC watchguards unfair labor practices. This office has specialists who deal with labor issues and act as a resource for applicants and employees who have been discriminated against during the employment process.
Canadian Employment Resources
- American Council of the Blind’s Job Listings Job listings organized by type of employer
- CareerJet An employment search engine that allows you to access thousands of jobs published on websites from around the world
- Careeronestop Hosted by the U.S. Department of Labor, this website allows you to search job banks in every state nationwide
- CareerSite Thousands of new jobs posted daily, a convenient source for career information that includes automatic matching of jobs against resume
- Chronicle of Higher Education Features thousands of current job listings for people in academic institutions
- The Employer Assistance & Recruiting Network (EARN) This site can connect you with local employment service providers who can help you with your job search; network providers include colleges, universities, nonprofit organizations, state and private vocational and rehabilitation agencies, Career One-Stop Centers, professional associations, and Veterans service organizations
- Equal Opportunity Publications Provides a resume database where, upon submission, your resume is sent free to major participating corporations and government agencies that are actively recruiting people with disabilities
- Indeed Very simple to use, search new jobs posted within the last seven days on job sites, newspapers, associations, and company career pages
- Jobmanji Very fast and accessible job search engine. All job postings give details of the employer, a full job description, a location, and a salary/wage
- Monster Specific support for people with disabilities is lacking, but it is one of the original and biggest job banks available
- NIB CareersWithVision An employment resource created in collaboration with APH CareerConnect® for people who are blind or visually impaired and interested in employment with the National Industries for the Blind
- The Simple Dollar A six step guide to landing your next job.
For Younger Job Seekers
- BLS Career Information for Young People What do you like? Math, reading, science, music & art, building & fixing things? Check here to see how to get a job doing things you like. Also includes a Teacher’s Guide and an A-Z list of careers.
- Workforce Recruitment Program A recruitment and referral program that connects federal and private sector employers with highly motivated postsecondary students with disabilities who are eager to prove their abilities in the workplace through summer or permanent jobs.
Other Important Resources
- Able to Work A consortium of business leaders focused on facilitating a fundamental shift in attitudes and awareness about the abilities of people with disabilities
- Art Beyond Sight Art Education for the Blind is dedicated to creating opportunities for employment and access in museums and arts agencies as one way towards making a lasting change in the arts and museums for people with vision loss.
- Bender Consulting Services Information technology consulting service that specializes in placing people with disabilities in computer programming or network engineering positions
- Career Builder One of America’s most popular job search sites
- Disability.Gov A comprehensive listing of disability-related Federal government resources
- DisabledPerson.Com This nonprofit site connects disabled individuals with employers who are proactive in hiring them, through the “recruitABILITY” job matching system
- Exceptional Nurse A nonprofit resource for nurses with disabilities
- HirePotential A national consulting and employment firm that works with corporations committed to diversity by helping them create a universally accessible work environment
- Job Accommodation Network A free consulting service that provides information about job accommodations, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the employability of people with disabilities
- JobHuntersBible.com A supplement to Richard N. Bolles’ book, the 2002 edition of What Color Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers, which is available to people who are blind or visually impaired through the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped and Learning Ally in alternative formats.
- We Connect Now For people interested in rights and issues affecting people with disabilities, with particular emphasis on college students and access to higher education and employment issues
- The Work Site Information from the Social Security Administration on vocational rehabilitation, employment services, or other work-related matters