There are many publicly and privately funded resources available to assist employers in issues they face concerning blind and visually impaired applicants and employees.
National and Web Resources
Resources that are very helpful for employers are listed below. In addition, there are scores of private and government-funded agencies, companies, and organizations that can offer support once a specific need is defined. For assistance in locating such support contact APH’s toll-free information line at (800) 232-5463.
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
- JAN is a consulting service/network providing information about job accommodations funded by the Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy.
- Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP), U.S. Dept of Labor
- ODEP provides national leadership to increase employment opportunities for adults and youth with disabilities while striving to eliminate barriers to employment. A broad range of resources of interest to employers are provided at www.dol.gov/odep/business/business.htm.
- Regional Disability and Business Technical Assistance Centers
- Regional Disability and Business Technical Assistance Centers provide information, problem-solving assistance, and referrals for implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Accessible Electronic and Information Technology (E&IT). Centers are located throughout the country. Call (800) 949-4232 or go to the National Network of ADA Centers to locate the center nearest you.
- Rehabilitation Agencies
- Each state provides vocational rehabilitation services for people who are visually impaired or have other disabilities. Rehabilitation services can help an employee who becomes disabled remain productive or provide support to a new employee through on-the-job training, technical assistance, or specialized equipment. Rehabilitation agencies can also refer qualified applicants with disabilities to prospective employers. Use APH’s Directory of Services to locate Rehabilitation Services near you.
- Private Organizations
- In addition to state rehabilitation agencies, more than 1000 private organizations throughout the country provide disability-specific employment-related services. Assistance in locating such agencies can often be found in local telephone directories, or contact APH’s toll-free information line at (800) 232-5463 or online at email@example.com.
Employers and other organizations are beginning to promote the use of the information in this website within their own companies. APH would like to thank the following organizations for linking to APH CareerConnect from their own intranet or extranet sites:
- Hewlett Packard
- KRON Television, San Francisco
- Littler Mendelson, LLP
- Stanford University Career Center
- Sun Microsystems
If you would like to add your company to this growing list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional helpful resources include: