Lesson 5: My Fitness AccessWorld
Name(s) of students(s):
Age and grade level:
Goal from IEP connected to lesson:
Objective from IEP connected to lesson:
Objectives for student learning:
After completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
- Search AccessWorld for information about accessible fitness products.
- State three different accessible fitness tools available to consumers with vision loss.
- State three benefits physical activity can have on a person’s work performance.
Materials needed: Note taking device, internet access
Prompt the student to think about his lifestyle: “What do you do to be healthy and active? Do you take walks or practice yoga? Did you know a sedentary lifestyle can lead to obesity? What, if anything, is preventing you from being active? Did you know that there is an array of technology available to you to assist you in being active? It is important for you to work on establishing a healthy and active lifestyle now. When you become employed and you are active, you will have more energy which will be important for helping you to keep up with the demands (both physical and mental) of your job.”
Activity: Cooper Kendall
- To learn firsthand how a teen overcame his obesity, search the AccessWorld website using the keywords “fitness challenge.”
- Read USABA and WellPoint Foundation National Fitness Challenge Helps Visually Impaired Athlete Go from Biggest Loser to Biggest Winner, by Cooper Kendall with Lacey Markel
- “What did the author stop blaming his lack of physical activity on? Name four fitness activities the author engaged in. According to the article, research shows individuals who participate in regular physical activity not only have lower rates of depression and anxiety, but what else? Will physical activity support your endeavors as an employee?”
Additional Fitness Activities
- Instruct the student to search AccessWorld using the keywords “Fitness FAQs.”
- Read Fitness FAQs from the Desk of AFB’s Information and Referral Specialist, by Tara Annis and Lee Huffman.
- Instruct the student to search AccessWorld using the keywords “Fitbit Flex.”
- Read Get in Shape with the Fitbit Flex, by Janet Ingber.
- Instruct the student to search AccessWorld using the keywords “fitness tool.”
- Read My Fitness Pal; A Guide to an Accessible Fitness Tool, by Janet Ingber.
Goal of next lesson: